Young Living distills and produces 2 species of Frankincense: Frankincense (Boswellia Carteri) and Sacred Frankincense (Boswellia Sacra)
Native to East Africa, Boswellia carteri is the most well-known and most studied among frankincense species because it contains many important natural constituents,including boswellic acid. Researchers in Tokyo, Japan discovered that the extract of B. carteri contains a number of triterpene acids like boswellic acids and incensole acetate that exhibited potent activities. Another of the eleven Boswellia carteri studies found ina search of PubMed, the National Library of Medicine’s website, explains how a purified mixture of boswellic acids from Boswellia carteri resin exhibits positive immune system effects
Sacred Frankincense comes from the Boswellia Sacra frankincense tree and is distilled at the Young Living distillery in Oman. Omani frankincense is regarded the world over as the rarest, most sought-after aromatic in existence. In 2009, Gary Young was granted special permission to build a Young Living distillery in Oman. Until this venture, no Omani frankincense had ever left the country, unless it was purchased by Saudi royals.
Below is a set of information compiled by us from Dr H.K Lin’s various presentation on his extensive studies on Frankincense and its effects when used against cancer.
Frankincense Essential Oil for treating Cancer
Summary of notes compiled from Dr H.K.Lin’s talks in Singapore (Oct 2013)
A) BACKGROUND AND RESEARCH – Essential Oils contain biologically active therapeutic compounds – What is Cancer? 1) Cells that do not follow an orderly path of death or programmed cell death (apoptosis) 2) Cells that have uncontrolled growth – For Cancer to develop, there is more than ONE pathway – Cancer cells have to “make friends”. They travel (metastasis ) via 3 routes: 1) Blood 2) Lymphatic system 3) Bones – Current Statistics in USA: 1 in every 2 men, 1 in every 3 women gets cancer. Singapore shares the same statistics (this was confirmed by the director at the National Cancer Centre Singapore – Current treatment: 1) Surgery 2) Chemotherapy – kills fast growing cells including hair follicles, bone marrow cells which renew every 9 days – which also helps to generate immune response 3) Radiation/ Proton Therapy 4) Targeted Therapy – Several oils have been tested initially and all found to have positive effects on treating Cancer: Balsam Fir, Frankincense, Palo Santo, Lavender, Ocotea, Sandalwood, Tsuga, Idaho Blue Spruce (added later)
– Further studies between Sandalwood and Frankincense showed Sandalwood oil is a potent oil in inducing cancer cell death; but Frankincense oil, not sandalwood oil, induces tumor cell-specific killing
– Frankincense oil suppresses cancer cell growth and activates cancer cell death pathways
– Research: tested distilling at 78ºC and 100ºC and found results very different. Only when distilled at 100ºC at 12hours did they manage to distil Sacred Frankincense with a presence of many more compounds at higher quantities.
– Frankincense Oil is NOT Frankincense Oil is NOT Frankincense Oil” ~ just picking up any frankincense oil does not ensure you the results as shown in Dr H K Lin’s studies because growers and distillers and marketers DO NOT all understand the exact specifications to obtain frankincense oil that has the required compound for fighting cancer. Dr Lin personally has only seen results with the Young Living brand of Sacred Frankincense Oil and Frankincense Oil. – Different species of Frankincense produce different composition – Research: Used Sacred Frankincense on Skin Cancer. No detectable skin cancer at after 20 weeks. Biopsy has shown that the cancer cells were surrounded by immune cells. Frankincense oil might have been what activated the immune responseExtract from the research (http://www.oapublishinglondon.com/images/article/pdf/1377986878.pdf): “We present a case of a male patient, with two foci (arm and chest) of BCC (Basal-cell carcinoma), treated with local and topical application of frankincense essential oil several times a day, for a period of 20 weeks. Biopsies were performed before and after frankincense essential oil treatment. Pathological study demonstrated total resolution of the BCC on the arm and substantial resolution in the BCC of the chest after treatment. Significant increase in apoptotic cells was observed in the residual carcinoma in the chest. Topical application of frankincense essential oil did not cause redness, swelling, erosion, crusts, vesicles, squamae, itching, tingling, or any other local or systemic side effects in this patient.”
– Will Frankincense oil interfere with chemotherapy? Frankincense oil DOES NOT interfere. However Chemotherapy will affect the efficacy of the Frankincense oil. When the patient is receiving chemotherapy, there are very low or no immune cells. Frankincense oil may not be able to activate the “immune cells attack”, which is one pathway that the cancer cells are killed. It is NOT conclusive that Frankincense is not useful during the treatment but patients need to note that the effectiveness is generally slower.
– BEST “window” to use Frankincense oil is BEFORE operation or any form of treatment. Using the Frankincense oil before a surgery helps to confine the cancer cells. – Frankincense oil will cause tumour cell death but does not provide the nutritional needs of the body. It is important that patient is well supported by a balanced, clean diet and a strong nutritional intake.
B) USAGE – EARLY STAGE CANCER OPTION A: ORAL METHOD
– 20 drops Sacred Frankincense 3x a day. After Meal. (Options: in capsule, under tongue, in Ningxia red) Start slow. Increase gradually through the weeks: Week 1: 5 drop 3x Week 2: 10 drops 3x Week 3: 20 drops 3x (and continue at this level if patient is accustomed to this level) – It has been known that some patients have gone as high as 60drops each time with no discomfort
OPTION B: RECTAL METHOD – 10 drops of Sacred Frankincense + 10 drops Vegetable oil (V6) 3-4x a day
– LATE STAGE CANCER OPTION A: ORAL METHOD USING ENRICHED FRANKINCENSE
– 0.2ml/kg/day of Enriched Sacred Frankincense. After Meal. (Options: in capsule, under tongue, in Ningxia red)
– Start slow. Increase gradually through the weeks: Week 1: Start small with 0.05ml/kg/day of the Enriched Frankincense. If patient is 50kg, that’s 2.5ml a day. Week 2: Increase to 0.1ml/kg/day. If patient is 50kg, that’s 5ml a day. Week 3: Go into full dosage 0.2ml/kg/day. That is 10ml a day if he is 50kg. Continue at this level.
–HOW TO MAKE ENRICHED SACRED FRANKINCENSE Empty 5 x 15ml bottle of Sacred Frankincense into a Pyrex glass dish. Allow the content to evaporate naturally in a closed cabinet with little air movement. Monitor closely over 2-3 days for the content to be reduced to 20% i.e 15ml. Sacred Frankincense is 60-80% monoterpene compound. This compound can cause nausea, light headed-ness and stomach discomfort when the oil is ingested in large amount (which is what is needed for late stage cancer)
– ESTIMATED COST CALCULATION FOR MAKING ENRICHED SACRED FRANKINCENSE (for a 50kg patient). Please note this is based on SGD Week 1: 2.5ml a day. Patient needs to use 12.5ml to make the formula. For a week supply, that’s about 6 bottles of Sacred Frankincense Oil. Each bottle is S$142. So Week 1’s supply will add up to S$852 Week 2: 5ml a day. Patient needs to use 25ml to make the formula. For a week supply, that’s about 12 bottles of Sacred Frankincense Oil. So Week 2’s supply will add up to S$1704 Week 3: 10ml a day, he needs to use 50ml to start making the formula. For a week supply, that’s about 24 bottles of Sacred Frankincense Oil. So week 3’s supply will add up to S$3408
OPTION B: RECTAL METHOD
– There is another way to get the oils into the system and that is via the rectum. This by-passes the digestive tract and therefore in large quantities, it is less likely that patient will experience effects like nausea, light headed-ness or stomach discomfort. Rectal method does not require enriching the Sacred Frankincense oil. Week 1: Start small with 0.05ml/kg of the Sacred Frankincense. Let body ac-customize itself to the oils. For a patient at 50kg, that’s 2.5ml a day. Week 2: Increase to 0.1ml/kg. That is 5ml a day. Week 3: Go into full dosage 0.2ml/kg. That is 10ml a day. Continue at this level.
– ESTIMATED COST CALCULATION FOR RECTAL METHOD (for a 50kg patient). Please note this is based on SGD Week 1: 2.5ml a day. For a week supply, patient needs 17.5ml (if he is 50kg), That’s about slightly more than 1 bottles of Sacred Frankincense Oil (which is 15ml). So stand by 2 bottles . So week 1’s supply will be S$284 Week 2: 5ml a day. For a week supply, he needs 35ml (if he is 50kg), That’s about slightly more than 2 bottles of Sacred Frankincense Oil (which is 15ml). So stand by 3 bottles . So week 1’s supply will be S$426 Week 3: 10ml a day, For a week supply, he needs 70ml (if he is 50kg), That’s about slightly more than 4 bottles of Sacred Frankincense Oil (which is 15ml). So stand by 5 bottles . So week 1’s supply will be S$710 – There is significant cost reduction in the case of rectal application because this route does not irritate the digestive tract and so no additional preparation (or enriching) of the oil is necessary.
– With Rectal application, patient may need to add 20%-50% of vegetable oil base if essential oil (neat) is too strong. Use a syringe or something called a Pipette to take the oil and insert it into rectum. Here’s a picture of the Pipette
– When using Sacred Frankincense for Cancer, it is important to get a doctor to monitor the kidney and liver function. All research done so far has seen stable kidney and liver functions
– Enriched formula for Sacred Frankincense has been used together with Myrrh or Idaho Blue Spruce and seen positive results
– Ingestion method has been most effective for cancer of the Colon, Lymphatic, Blood, Brain. With cancer of the skin or breast (or any cancer that can be “felt”), it may be more effective to use topical application.
– With Skin and Breast cancer, apply the Frankincense oil as often as possible. Patient may support with ingestion to work on potential cancer cells that may have travelled.
– It has been observed before that during the treatment with Frankincense, the cancer marker may increase or the tumor may temporaily grow before it shrinks and die. The researchers do not currently have full understanding about the reason for this.